LTC Financing Initiative
Half of Americans turning 65 today will one day need a high level of help with basic daily activities, like walking, eating, and bathing. For older adults and their families, this can take a sizable toll on both quality of life and personal finances.
The Long-Term Care Financing Initiative supports policymakers and stakeholders to create affordable, accessible financing solutions that will meet the needs of individuals, families, and state and federal governments. Join the discussion at #LTCFinancing.
The Need for LTC Financing Solutions
Get informed, raise awareness, and join the conversation. Watch the video.
Also, The Case for Financing Older America’s Long-Term Care Need resource is available for download and wide use.
Latest Analysis and Recommendations
Since initial recommendations captured in their 2016 report, the Bipartisan Policy Center (BPC) analyzed additional issues related to long-term care financing. After evaluating the variety of options, BPC offers new analysis and three recommendations to improve the availability of affordable long-term care insurance and long-term care financing.
- BPC - Financing Long-Term Services and Supports: Seeking Bipartisan Solutions in Politically Challenging Times
See remarks from the July 11, 2017 release event.
Side-by-Side of Long-Term Care Financing Policy Recommendations
In 2015, modeling efforts distilled various options to improve America's financing system for long-term care. In February 2016, three organizations - BPC, LeadingAge, and the Long-Term Care Financing Collaborative (the Collaborative) - subsequently released policy recommendations building off that modeling work. This review identifies common threads between the three reports as well as where the recommendations differ in perspective and emphasis.
For more details on each set of recommendations, access the reports:
The Collaborative - A Consensus Framework for Long-Term Care Financing Reform
- LeadingAge - 2016 Pathways Report: Perspectives on the Challenges of Financing Long-Term Services and Supports
Earlier reports from our stakeholders:
- Reports from the Collaborative
Click play button below for a short video.
Urban Institute/Milliman, Inc. Policy Modeling Project
To offer workable policy solutions, the Foundation partnered with AARP and LeadingAge to fund a large body of actuarial and economic modeling completed by the Urban Institute and Milliman, Inc. The purpose of this modeling work is to create new analytic information comparing various high-level insurance options to address this impending crisis.
- Health Affairs - Financing Long-Term Services and Supports (LTSS): Options Reflect Trade-Offs for Older Americans and Federal Spending
- Urban Institute - Microsimulation Analysis of Financing Options for LTSS
- Milliman, Inc. - Premium Estimates for Policy Options to Finance LTSS
- TSF's Policy Brief - Financing Options for Long-Term Care: Who Benefits and at What Cost?
- Op-Ed from The Hill - Getting perspective on America's long-term care financing crisis
Infographics (click to download)