Evaluating Medicare-Medicaid Integration
The Foundation seeks to improve the lives of Californians eligible for Medicare and Medi-Cal by supporting integration across these two major programs. One way we seek to achieve this goal is by learning from on-the-ground experiences of individuals engaging in California’s demonstration project to bring together Medicare and Medicaid in seven counties, called Cal MediConnect.
Below are two initiatives to better understand enrollee experiences in Cal MediConnect, and how this new integrated care program is changing the delivery system landscape in the state.
Multi-Year Evaluation of Cal MediConnect - University of California
The Community Living Policy Center at the University of California, San Francisco and the UC Berkeley Health Research for Action Center are conducting a three-year evaluation of Cal MediConnect. Researchers are documenting the impact of the program on individuals' experiences with care, including access, quality, and coordination. They are also examining service delivery system response to the initiative in several sectors, including health plans, medical care providers, behavioral health, skilled nursing, and home-and community-based services.
- NEW: Evaluation of Cal MediConnect - Key Findings from a Survey with Beneficiaries (August 2016)
- Cal MediConnect - How Have Health Systems Responded? (Full Report)
- Presentation of 2016 telephone survey results to the Department of Health Care Services' Stakeholder Advisory Committee
- Full report of the Cal MediConnect evaluation focus groups
- Presentation of the preliminary focus group results at the Foundation's 2015 LTSS Summit
- Description of the UC multi-year evaluation
Rapid Cycle Polling of Medicare/Medi-Cal Individuals - Field Research Corporation
The Field Research Corporation is using campaign-style polling to understand the experience of people enrolling in and opting out of Cal MediConnect. The information produced is being delivered to state departments and health plans responsible for continuous quality improvement for the demonstration.
- Findings from polling results (June 2016)
- Findings from polling results (December 2015)
- Findings from polling results (October 2015)