LTC Financing Initiative
Half of Americans turning 65 today will one day need a high level of help with basic daily activities, like walking, eating, and bathing. For older adults and their families, providing this level of support can take a sizable toll on both quality of life and personal finances, given the lack of affordable, accessible financing solutions.
This Long-Term Care Financing Initiative provides updated information to help policymakers and stakeholders create a viable set of policy solutions that will meet the needs of individuals, families, state and federal governments, and society at large.
Join the discussion on social media at #LTCFinancing.
[NEW] Also, The Case for Financing Older America’s Long-Term Care Need resource is available for download and wide use.
Side-by-Side of Long-Term Care Financing Policy Recommendations
In 2015, modeling efforts distilled various options to improve America's financing system for long-term care. In February 2016, three organizations - the Bipartisan Policy Center (BPC), LeadingAge, and the Long-Term Care Financing Collaborative (the Collaborative) - subsequently released policy recommendations building off that modeling work. This review identifies common threads between the three reports as well as where the recommendations differ in perspective and emphasis.
For more details on each set of recommendations, access the reports:
The Collaborative - A Consensus Framework for Long-Term Care Financing Reform
- LeadingAge - 2016 Pathways Report: Perspectives on the Challenges of Financing Long-Term Services and Supports
Earlier reports from our stakeholders:
- Reports from the Collaborative
Click play button below for a short video.
Urban Institute/Milliman, Inc. Policy Modeling Project
To offer workable policy solutions, the Foundation partnered with AARP and LeadingAge to fund a large body of actuarial and economic modeling completed by the Urban Institute and Milliman, Inc. The purpose of this modeling work is to create new analytic information comparing various high-level insurance options to address this impending crisis.
- Health Affairs - Financing Long-Term Services and Supports (LTSS): Options Reflect Trade-Offs for Older Americans and Federal Spending
- Urban Institute - Microsimulation Analysis of Financing Options for LTSS
- Milliman, Inc. - Premium Estimates for Policy Options to Finance LTSS
- TSF's Policy Brief - Financing Options for Long-Term Care: Who Benefits and at What Cost?
- Op-Ed from The Hill - Getting perspective on America's long-term care financing crisis
Infographics (click to download)