The SCAN Foundation is an independent public charity devoted to transforming care for older adults in ways that preserve dignity and encourage independence. We envision a future where high-quality, affordable health care and supports for daily living are delivered on each person’s own terms, according to that individual’s needs, values, and preferences.
A society where older adults can access health and supportive services of their choosing to meet their needs.
To advance a coordinated and easily navigated system of high-quality services for older adults that preserve dignity and independence.
Why Does This Work Matter?
Most of us, as we grow older, will encounter personal daily challenges, such as:
- Managing chronic illnesses
- Getting help with daily needs like going to the grocery store and keeping the house clean
- Staying active despite chronic pain, failing eyesight, or hearing loss
- Worrying about how to pay for care and services
- Feeling afraid about leaving one’s home for a nursing home
Right now there is no coordinated and easily navigated system in place to support Americans who want to live independently as they age. The challenge becomes more pressing as the population of older adults increases, so it is imperative to take action now. That is why this work matters: to encourage change that enables all of us to age with dignity, choice, and independence.